Nadia’s Airy Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse
Okay, we have all had our stepping on the scale moment; screeching, crying, yelling, and/or pounding the floor experience. Hopefully, over the month of January you have gained a little bit of control (in my case, a very small little bit). But now the cold and dreary days are getting to you and it is time to bring back a little light i.e. dessert. Now, this mousse is actually a good start- not heavy, not crazy calorific, it is just perfection. Whether it is for the January blues, a romantic Valentine’s day, or the most fantastic Mother’s Day brunch, this mousse has got you covered.
225g good quality milk or dark chocolate
2 Tbs nutella
1.5 Tbs butter
1 Tbs bourbon, optional
6 egg whites
½ tsp lemon juice
40g caster sugar
150ml double cream, lightly whipped
6-8 serving tubs, any size, any shape, be creative! (ramekins work too…)
1. Put chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Melt very very gently.
2. Stir in the butter, nutella, and bourbon one at a time and mix until combined. Set aside to cool a bit
3. Whisk the egg whites until frothy, add the lemon juice. Continue whisking until soft peaks are formed. Slowly add caster sugar as you continue to whisk until stiff peaks.
4. Fold 75mL double cream into chocolate mixture until combined. Fold egg white mixture into this until combined.
5. Spoon into serving tubs i.e. ramekins, wine glasses, or one large glass vase.
6. Refrigerate up to 24 hours (but at least 3 hours) and serve with the double cream or sprinkle with icing sugar. A ferrer roche on the side doesn’t go amiss!