Kathryn Hepburn’s Double Chocolate Brownie Sundaes
I would run (walk at a sedate pace) through the woods (not kidding) from my house to my grandmother’s house after preschool, dash (lumber) onto the porch, throw open (knock) the door and dive (I did dive) into the plate of brownies that were in endless supply on the kitchen island. Yes, I was a chubby little kid, but whatever. They were the most delicious things in the world and I figured I would spice them up today with a little zing i.e. sundaes. Nothing is better in the summer than build-your-own, homemade brownie sundaes, but everything except the brownies can be bought (Homemade for less time- 8 minutes prep and 30 minutes in the oven!)
Makes 4 sundaesIngredients for the brownies
- 100g +25g semi sweet choc chips (1/2 c heaping)
- 115g unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 200g caster sugar (1 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla bean
- 30g flour (1/4 cup)
Ingredients for the sundae:
- 1 pint vanilla icecream, sprinkles, whipped cream, wafers, fresh berries, chocolate sauce, etc.
- Preheat oven to 160 C (325F)
- Butter and line the bottom of a 20x20cm (8 by 8 in) square pan with parchment paper
Please butter very generously…there is nothing worse then having only half of it come out of the pan, plus a little extra butter never hurt any thing (my waistline not included).
- Melt the chocolate and the butter in a saucepan over medium heat (stir constantly)
- When melted, remove from heat and stir vigorously to cool it down – about 1 minute (you don’t want scrambled eggs!)
- Add the sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, and flour, stirring after each addition
- Pour mixture into the WELL GREASED pan bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
- Once cool, cut brownies and arrange in a glass with all the sundae toppings, I like to leave all the options out on a table and do a “build your own’”