Crispy Duck and Goat Cheese Crostini with a Raspberry Mustard Sauce
The gentleman of the house had a couple of dudes over before they headed out to dinner last weekend. I was not invited, which I thought was pretty crummy. But then I realized that I got to hang out with the dog, Henry, eat as much Haagen Daz as I want and run around naked dancing to Taylor Swift and DMX. Any ill will went out the window pretty quick after that realization. But before they went, I figured they would want a little appetizer, so Henry and I hopped in my little (yes way to little for the 80kg (180 lb) Henry) car and headed to the store to pick up some basic appetizer supplies. When in doubt, pop some meat on top of some bread, spruce it up with some cheese etc., and pretty much, you will have a winner. And this was certainly that. The guys ate so much that they decided they didn’t want to even go to dinner. While that certainly cramped my ice cream eating style, it definitely propped up my food ego. The sweetness from the raspberry paired with the deep rustic flavor of the duck breast and the bite of the mustard is really just to die for. Just make sure you don’t spend a long time making a main course because no one will want to eat it!
- 2 breasts of duck
- 1 avocado
- 1 baguette
- 6 T raspberry preserves
- 6 T honey mustard (I prefer Brownwood Farms Kream Mustard)
- 1 wheel of goat cheese
- salt, pepper
- 5 Tbs olive oil
- Score the fat side of the duck breast (criss cross cuts into the fat being careful not to cut the meat) and season with salt and pepper
- Over medium-high heat put the 1 Tbs of olive oil in a saute pan and when hot, add the duck breasts. Cook for about 8 minutes, turning halfway in between and spooning out and discarding the excess fat along the way.
- Preheat the oven to grill (broil). Lightly olive oil the sliced baguette and put on a baking sheet. Put in the oven about 1 minute each side until just crisp.
- Mix the raspberry preserves and mustard, and slice the goat cheese and avocado.
- Assemble! Spread the raspberry mustard on each slice of baguette. Add the goat cheese, duck breast, and avocado on top!