Caramel Apple Pie
Fall is slowly winding down and turning into cold and dreary winter, but never fear! That means that the Christmas music is on at full blast, Saturday morning fall walks with wooly hats and hot chocolate are a must, and most importantly time to make use of the last apples of the season. That means making caramel apple pie is basically a public service (it also makes your home smell DIVINE!) For fun ways to decorate there are loads of online tutorials. Lattice away!
* Should you wish to buy the pastry crust pre-made, I promise not to tell anyone.
Ingredients for pie crust:
- 400 g flour ( 1 2/3c)
- 200 g cold butter, cut into pieces (1 3/4 stick)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 egg
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1 Tbs ice water
Ingredients for filling:
- 10 pink lady apples, peeled, cored, and chopped in twelths
- 8 Tbs dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean
- 1 Tbs cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cloves
- 120g butter (1 stick)
- juice of ¼ lemon
- zest of ½ lemon
- 2 Tbs bourbon
- Preheat the oven to 175 C (350F)
- Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Rub in the cold butter until it resembles coarse sand.
- Add the egg and water and mix well with hands.
- Roll into a ball, cut in half, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes at most 24 hours.
- Roll out ½ into a pie pan. Blind bake for 20 minutes (line the dough with aluminum foil filled with rice, beans, or baking balls, inside to stop the crust from rising).
- In the meantime, prepare the filling. Heat 110g butter in pan until brown. Add the apples. Cook down for about 5 minutes. Add all other ingredients. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour into pre-baked pie crust and either lattice or simply place rolled out dough on time (cutting holes for steam to escape.
- Bake for 1 hour.