American style Bruschetta with Basil Appetizer
This simple appetizer is a true crowd pleaser. I can’t tell you how many parties I am invited to just so that I will make this (maybe also for my stunning personality?)! It is so simple, yet elegant and completely delicious. The freshness of the cheese is quite important since it is served au naturale.
- 1 fresh baguette
- 200g buffalo mozzarella
- 10 basil leaves
- 6 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs Brownwood Farms kream mustard (or 1.5 t dijon mustard and 1.5 t honey)
- 1 Tbs kosher salt
- ½ Tbs black pepper
- 4 tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 100 degrees Celsius.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together mustard (and honey), 3 T olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Slice the tomatoes approximately ½ inch thick and lay out flat on a cookie sheet. Brush mixture on tomatoes liberally. Reserve about ¼ sauce.
- Bake for 1 hr 30 minutes. Remove from oven, brush rest of sauce on tomatoes and return to oven for 30 more minutes
- Slice bread and lay out on a cookie sheet. Drizzle on another 3 T olive oil.
- When tomatoes are done, remove, and turn oven to grill. Put bread under grill for 2 minutes checking constantly. Remove from oven.
- Slice mozzarella about ⅛ inch thick and julienne the basil. (Roll all the leaves together and then simply cut through with kitchen scissors.
- Turn bread over so the untoasted side is facing down (less crumbs when you bite into them). Top with mozzarella, a tomato slice, and a sprinkly of julienned basil. Taste! Add more kosher salt and pepper as necessary.